Sunday, February 24, 2008

Garbage Train

I didn't shoot this, my brother did - with his cell phone camera. He immediately sent it to me, then called me to explain the picture. He spotted this couple pushing this contraption down Hwy 19 on the west coast of Florida, so he pulled over and asked if he could take a picture, knowing I would want it. They were very gracious people and allowed him to take a couple of shots, but not of themselves. He talked to them for quite awhile, and told me they seemed like a really happy couple.
























This is what they told him: They have been traveling the highways for about ten years, pushing the cart by hand and pitching a tent wherever anyone will allow them to. If they can't find a place to pitch a tent, they'll stay on the side of the road, until the cops come along and tell them to move on. Christians always give them money, so they never lack for food. They do go for long periods of time without showering. The man built the carts and connected them. He said the tires are designed in a way that the second tire will take over the burden of moving the cart along when the lead tire fails. He said the cart moves easier and smoother when it has a lot of weight, so that's why they pick up trash as they move down the highway. They'll pick up anything and everything, eventually discarding it in a dumpster, then starting over again. They were on their way to the Florida Keys. Everything they own is in the cart.

[Click To Enlarge]



New on VintagePhotoSite: New Hebrides

2 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

I don't know what to think about this, really... Actually, "The Grapes of Wrath" came to mind... Of course, this has nothing to do with that and I really don't get it. Ten years pushing carts on the highways?

Florida's highway rules are rather relaxed, aren't they?

BeanTownBoy said...

Fenix: Ten years, that's what they told my brother. And not just in Florida; they told him they travel north when the weather is good; said they used to go into Canada, but they were refused entry the last time they tried.

I'm going to post a picture for tomorrow that you won't be able to believe either. I saw a young couple walking down the street and the woman was holding a dog leash that was attached to a collar around the man's neck. I was driving in the opposite direction on business, but when I finished I went looking for them, caught up with them in a parking lot, and asked if I could take a picture. They were happy to allow it! I never found out the significance of the leash and collar, but I got most of their story, and it's a crazy one. (I'm a lousy photo-journalist, lol). You'll get a kick out of it.