Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Keeping Up With The Joneses

Amy and Brandon Jones, from Indiana, seen here in St Cloud, Florida on December 19, 2007.



















As I was waiting at a red light, I spotted them walking down Hwy 192 (13th Street in St Cloud) in the opposite direction of where I was going. I caught up with them as they were crossing a parking lot, and asked them if I could take their picture. They were happy to allow me to get a couple of shots, and tell me their story.



















They told me they were walking across America, all forty-eight contiguous states, in support of our troops overseas, living and dead. They said they have already walked over one million miles.

While Brandon wrote down their information for me, Amy showed me a picture of her ten year old son, who is being cared for by her father while the Joneses pursue this adventure/mission (my words, not theirs). She was proud of him, a good looking little boy, and told me she missed him desperately.

Of course, being the lousy photo-journalist that I am, I forgot to ask the significance of the leash and collar, and they failed to tell me. I have their email address, so if I hear back from them concerning that, I'll update this post.

I took these with my cell phone camera. [Click To Enlarge]

3 comments:

Isadora said...

I'd be afraid to ask, they may tell you. I don't understand such things especially not leaving your child and lead your hubby around on a leash....sorry, just don't understand. It does make a statement, probably not the kind they are looking for. They could do a great deal more good by something local around their home - like letter campaign (writing to the service people, approaching companies for small sample sized deodorant, lotion, toothpaste, disposable cameras...y'know what I mean?) of am I just being a grouchy bitch tonight?

Isadora said...

p.s. a million miles???? that does it.

slim said...

Isadora-

That's not being a bitch . . . that's being grounded . . . I'm with you on this one. Your first responsibility and priority is to your family . . . I think they need to borrow a wrench, tighten the screws and get back home with their son. That's their first mission.