Friday, July 4, 2008

Anhinga And The Rat






I came across this Anhinga sitting on the edge of the boat ramp, and as I went to shoot him/her I noticed it struggling with something attached to it's beak. I took twenty shots of the bird, edging closer and closer to it, once I realized it was the carcass of a rat that was wrapped around the tip of it's beak. I wanted to find some way to help the bird, but when I got within a couple of feet it turned it's back on me and flew off to a pole out in the lake, with the rat still dangling from it's beak. [Click the photos for a bigger view and a good look at the profile of the rat.]


Please scroll down if you came for the Sky Watch.

7 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

I have never heard of this bird so thanks for the link too. Its markings are very striking against the blue background. Wonderful series again George!
That's really a rat?? My goodness...

Flying Solo said...

Wow!! These are to much!!!!
So Beautiful, just like a painting!
Congrats!!

George Townboy said...

Janice: If you enlarge the third one down, you can clearly see the rat's profile and the entrails wrapped around it's beak.

Coca Cutie: Thank you!! This is the closest I've ever been to one of these birds, they are very skittish.

Flying Solo said...

You are a master in Anhinga shooting :)

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful bird. MB

Isadora said...

The bird is beautiful but that thing is wrapped around its beak...somehow I don't see a rat, it looks more like plastic or clothing. :( I hope he got rid of it.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

sheesh that is a super set of shots